Is there anything more inviting on a cold day than a warm bowl of soup and the aroma of freshly baked bread…ok, maybe a blanket and a fire but this goes with that too!
You will need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 great extra virgin olive oil – do not use the stuff from the grocery store for $9.99 that’s junk!
- 2 cloves of garlic- minced finely
- 1 tbsp dry Italian Seasoning herb mix
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped Basil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped Parsley (flat Italian)
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt (like Maldon)
- 1 finely minced spring onion
- 1 tsp dry chili flakes (pepperoncino)
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup of finely grated Parmegiano Reggiano cheese and more sea salt
Step 1: heat water in microwave for 1 minute. Add yeast and honey and mix. Leave 5 minutes to activate yeast.
Step 2: chop the fresh herbs and mince garlic. Find a delicious Olive Oil – this one is a Hojiblanca from Spain. Place the oil, garlic, dry seasoning, fresh herbs, salt, green onion, chili flakes and pepper in a small pot and heat on low for 1 minute so that the garlic blooms and all the herbs open up then turn off and set aside.
I add 2 cups of flour to the yeast mix and stir in a large bowl. Let sit 20 minutes.
Step 3: add half the oil blend to the dough, the other half will be spread on top.
Step 4: I add another cup of flour to the counter and plop the wet mix on top. I use a bench scrapper to fold in more flour until it becomes manageable. I knead by hand and keep adding a sprinkle of flour until no longer sticky. This might be up to 2 more cups for a total of 4 cups.
Place in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap until double in size. This will take 1 -1 1/2 hours.
Step 5: Add a generous glug of oil to the bottom of the sheet pan and place the soft dough on top pushing down with your fingers pressing into the corners. Pour the rest of the oil mix on top and don’t forget the grated Parm and another sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake at 325 for 20- 25 minutes until golden and fragrant!
Soft and delicious !!