Flavours of Greece!…lemon, oregano, garlic, mint, basil.
Spicy Middle Eastern Flavours of garlic, chilies, cumin, coriander, horseradish.
You can make this big kebab with Greek flavours or Middle Eastern flavours and spices or Italian etc…The goal is to take meats pound them thin, spice and season them generously, place some vegetables in between and slowly roast them to perfection. Shave the meats, add some fresh vegetables, pickles or spreads and roll it up in a pita or wrap for the perfect fun dinner that can feed a big crowd!
You will need:
(this recipe is great for 4 people but you can easily double it)
Spicy Middle Eastern Flavours
- you need a grill that has a rotisserie or a spit to roast the meats
- 2 chicken breasts (or 8 chicken thighs if you prefer the dark meat or both!)
- 2 pork loin chops or 1 pork tenderloin
- 2 green onions-minced fine
- 3 cloves garlic-minced fine
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme – leaves removed
- 3-4 fresh sage leaves-minced fine
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (or basil if you prefer)
- 2 tsp grated fresh horseradish
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground celery seed
- 1 tbsp oregano (I prefer dry but, fresh is fine too)
- 1 tbsp Greek mixed spices or Mediterranean spice blend
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chili (or you can roast it in pieces on the kebab you are making)
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 lemon – sliced in half (this is to go in between slices of meat)
- 1 onion – sliced in half (this is to go in between slices of meats)
- 1 red pepper (this is to go in between slices of meats)
- 1 hot chili pepper (this is to go in between slices -any left over can be a topping)
- 1 green pepper (this is to go in between slices or as a topping)
- 3 tbsp rum and 3 tbsp olive oil for brushing while roasting the meat.
- pita breads(thin are best) or wraps
- your favourite sauces or schmears!! like hummus, tzatziki or baba ganouche
- some fresh lettuces or tomatoes, cucumbers or peppers or pickles
- add same meat amounts
- 3-4 cloves garlic – minced fine
- 2 lemons – 1 zested finely , then sliced into 3 portions
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 green onions – chopped finely (or you can place all these aromatics into a food processor)
- 1 small white one – minced finely
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 5-6 basil leaves – minced fine
- 20 fresh mint leaves – minced fine
- a handful of fresh parsley – minced finely
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 onion – chopped in half (for roasting in between meats)
- 1 green pepper (for roasting in between meats)
- take 1/2 of one of the lemons and squeeze over meat while turning
- pita breads – warmed to make soft and pliable -I put them in a small dry pan and flip a few times
- tzatziki or baba ganouche (you can use good quality store bought)
- tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, hot pickles or hot chilies for an assortment of toppings
Step 1: take lots of aromatics, chop fine or throw them all in a food processor and create a paste. In the above recipes these are all ingredients in the top portion of the recipes (the bottom portion is for topping details)
Step 2: take your choice of meat and gently pound thin to make the meat uniform. The chicken is very tender you don’t need to pound hard but the pork chops can take a bit more since they tend to be a more tough meat. I have only used 2 chicken breasts and 2 pork chops and you can see how small you can make the pieces. My pieces were about 3-4 inches when flattened.
Step 3: add all your aromatics and spies to the meat and coat well. Cover and leave in fridge at least 1 hour to marinate. Chop the veggies you want to add in between every few slices of meat to add more layers of flavour.
Step 4: here is the messy part! Add a lemon or onion on the end, then a few slices of meat, add a pepper, more slices of meat, a ring of lemon, more, meat etc…. end with another end of lemon and squish it together to get it nice and compacted.
Step 5: grill on medium low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check it often and squeeze on some lemon juice or baste with a bit of rum and olive oil on the spicy version.
Step 6: gather all your toppings, slide meat off rotisserie or slice it down if you are brave enough! At this point you can serve it as is or if you want the meat crispier. Take your slices and quickly fry in a pan!
pile on the toppings and devour!!