This is a perfect lunch or dinner. Warm chicken is served on top of tender greens and fresh fruit.
You will need: (for two people)
- 2 small chicken breasts – chopped into small cubes or slices
- 1 small onion – grated or chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped fine
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger (I always freeze a chunk and grate it frozen – lasts forever!)
- 1/2 jalapeno chili grated (I always fresh chilies too! -grate from frozen – lasts forever!)
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon – juiced
- 5 oz pkg of your favourite tender salad greens/mix
- 1 mango – peeled and cubed in small chunks and then leaving one half to be sliced
- 1 tomato cut into chunks or slices
- handful of blackberries or blueberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp pear or apple vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
Step 1: slice and then cut chicken into small cubes. Place in a small bowl.
Step 2: I grate the onion and if you have any little chunks left just chop fine. Chop garlic.
Step 3: grate fresh or frozen ginger, grate jalapeno pepper, add Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Let marinate up to a few hours or cook immediately.
Step 4: chop tomatoes and mango and prepare your dressing in a small jar. I add all the dressing ingredients and shake. Put the dressing on the salad at the last minute before serving.
Step 5: just before cooking chicken add lemon juice and mix.
Step 6: add a few tbsp of good quality extra virgin olive oil to a hot saute pan and cook chicken until all the water evaporates and the chicken starts to brown. This may take 10-15 minutes.
Step 7: once chicken is cooked add mango chunks and cook a few more minutes just to heat mango. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary
Step 8: add mixed salad greens to tomatoes and toss (you could also add some white or spring onions) with some of your salad dressing (you may not use it all- keeps in the fridge for a few days)
Toss with your fingers and plate. I then add a few blackberries and the slices of mango to make it all look pretty!
Note: you could top with some sesame seeds or a drizzle more of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.