Freekeh is a green wheat that has been dried, roasted and then thrashed or rubbed. It is an earthy, slightly smoky grain that is similar in taste to farro.
You will need:
- 3/4 cup freekeh
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 spring onions – chopped finely
- 1 large tomato – chopped into small dice
- 1 small yellow pepper (sweet) chopped into small dice
- 2 tbsp chopped onion – finely minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil (good extra virgin oil)
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: add freekeh and water to a small pot. Get the water to boil then turn down to a simmer, cover and leave 25 minutes until water has evaporated just like cooking rice. Place on a plate or cookie sheet to cool and slightly air dry.
Step 2: chop all vegetables
Step 3: add cooled freekeh, vegetables, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss and taste to adjust seasoning if necessary.