Just because you are eating alone doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat well!
This was my perfect lunch for one today. You can easily double the recipe for two.
You will need:
- 1 Halibut steak per person or any whitefish you enjoy
- 1 cup of broccoflower per person (or cauliflower)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 spring onion – chopped fine
- 1 tsp fresh Italian parsley – chopped fine
- 1 tsp fresh basil – chopped fine
- 2 -3 tbsp olive oil – I used a Lucero Ascolano which is fruity – more oil to drizzle over plate
- 1 tsp wild fennel pollen (or a few fennel seeds ground)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice – more to squeeze over finished dish. (about 1/2 lemon)
- salt/pepper to taste
Step 1: wash and break your broccoflower to bite sized pieces. Steam for 5 minutes. I like it to still have a bit of crunch.
Step 2: clean a nice piece of fish and chop into chunks. I have used halibut.
Step 3: chop parsley and basil and spring onions.
Step 4: zest lemon over fish and add some wild fennel pollen if you can get it or crushed fennel seeds if you cannot. The fennel pollen has a beautiful floral and liquorice scent and flavour. I also add my beautiful olive oil to marinate the fish delicately while the pan heats up.
Step 5: add the fish and spring onions to a medium hot pan and cook a few minutes on each side. Add salt and pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Serve with the steamed broccoflower, another squeeze of lemon juice and a final drizzle of good olive oil. Sprinkle parsley and basil and add salt and pepper if it needs a bit more.