Koftas are a street food common in many countries from the Middle East to Asia. They are made with everything from lamb to beef or fish and chicken. I have made mine with ground turkey. Grilled quickly and served with a salad and some Tzatziki (pronounced Tzad-Zeeky not Taz-eeky) they made the perfect lunch today. This recipe is prefect for 2 people but can easily be increased for a larger crowd.
You will need:
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey (if you can get a mix of dark and white it will stay moist more than breast meat alone)
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 small onion – grated
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro- chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian/flat parsley – chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- olive oil to drizzle and coat for grilling
Tzatziki recipe follows
Step 1: place turkey in a bowl. Add crushed garlic and grate 1 small onion into bowl.
Step 2: chop fresh cilantro and parsley and add to bowl.
Step 3: add all spices and mix well.
Step 4: form into 3-4 logs and press meat around skewers. Drizzle with olive oil and heat grill.
Step 5: grill on medium heat you can also squeeze some lemon juice over them while cooking.
Serve with mixed green salad and tzatziki.
- 1 small individual container of plain Greek yogurt (170 grams)
- 1 mini cucumber- grated and squeezed in paper towel to remove water = 1/2 cup English/hothouse cucumber once grated.
- 1 clove garlic- crushed
- 1/2 lemon -zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp fresh flat/Italian parsley – chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 1/2 tsp dried dill (you can certainly use fresh herbs!)
- salt/pepper to taste
- best quality olive oil to drizzle
grate on box grater and squeeze in paper towels to remove most of water